Written by Christopher Nye,
Last Modified: 11th December 2019

The clock’s ticking on Brexit – but is it really ‘time up’ for Brits relocating here to sunny Spain? The media would have you think so. However, British buyers actually increased by 16% this year, so what do they know that others don’t?

It’s simple: they know how to move here, Brexit deal or no deal, and they’re already thinking ahead – they’re ‘Brexit-proofing’ their plans. Here’s how you can buy property in Spain, whatever happens:

Buying a home in Spain if there is a Brexit deal

If a variation on the current withdrawal agreement goes through, then there’ll likely be a one-year implementation period until 31 December 2020. You’ll be able to move freely during this time without a visa, same as now. Plus, anyone settled before the final date will have their rights guaranteed for five more years. After this period, you can apply for permanent residency. Find out more in our detailed article.

Get in touch with a trusted emigration lawyer today – they’ll help you move no matter what happens with Brexit.

Buying a home in Spain after Brexit, or if there is no Brexit deal

You can still buy your dream home here in Spain after Brexit. You don’t need any extra documents to buy a house here as a non-EU citizen. All you need to do is to apply for the correct visa once you’ve bought – and, with the right lawyer, this is a smooth and painless process.

Here are your main options:

Owning a holiday home

You can simply apply for a regular tourist visa each time you visit. You’ll be able to stay for around three months at a time – more than enough to soak up some of that Mediterranean sun!

Even a no-deal Brexit won't stop Brits from being able to move to Spain!

Even a no-deal Brexit won’t stop Brits from being able to move to Spain!

Retiring to Spain

You can get a Temporary Residency (Non-Lucrative) Visa, which will allow you to stay in Spain for a year, and then renew for two-year blocks. After five years, you can apply for permanent residency.

After five years, you can apply for permanent residency.

You’ll need to have €8,000 per person to support your family, full private health cover for one year and a medical certificate showing you don’t have any serious diseases ‘prejudicing public health’.

Learn how the buying process works by downloading your free copy of the Buyers’ Guide to Spain.

Working in Spain

You can get a Temporary Residence (Lucrative) Visa, which will allow you to work either employed or self-employed here. For employees, you’ll need a signed contract from your employer. To be self-employed, you’ll need to comply with business licence rules. The government would likely base this on the minimum wage, around €600-800 a month. Normally, it’ll be for a period of one year, renewable after that. After five years, you can apply for permanent residency.

Alternatively, you could apply for an EU blue card. This is issued to people with a job offer and, in Spain, a minimum salary of around €33,900. In Spain, it’s valid for one year and can be renewed indefinitely.

Investing in Spain

Spain has an investment visa, the so-called Golden Visa, available if purchasing a property worth €500,000 per applicant or putting €1 million of bank shares or deposits in a Spanish bank account. For this, you get family residency, renewable every two years. After five years, you can apply for permanent residency.

Not sure how to finance your purchase in Spain, or wondering how to budget for your move? Find the answers in your free Spain Finance Guide.

For all non-tourist visas, remember to make any requests in person at the embassy/consulate (and have all documents translated into Spanish by a sworn translator). Your lawyer will guide you as to what to take with you each time.

Once you’re in Spain, unless you’re on a tourist visa, make sure to register as a temporary resident in person as the Foreigners’ Office/Oficina de Extranjeros or a National Police Station with a Foreigners’ Department.

Converting to permanent residency

Once you’ve reached five years, you can normally apply for permanent residency. You’ll need to show proof of your time in Spain (normally registering as a temporary resident), proof of income and a medical certificate. Plus, under Spanish law, you’ll be entitled to family reunion, so close relatives can come out to join you too. With this document in hand, you’ll be entitled to live in sunny Spain forever – despite no Brexit deal!

Your ‘Brexit-proofing’ to-do list:

  • Get in touch with a trusted lawyer about the best visa for you and how to apply
  • Get official translations of your documents showing the Apostille of the Hague (an official stamp) if needed
  • Discuss with your currency company how to transfer your funds, so you have a set euro budget
  • Once you’re in Spain, register as a temporary resident with your Town Hall

Speak to our trusted Spanish visa specialists

They will help you pick the right visa for your circumstances. Our recommended specialists have years worth of experience in helping our readers. They will give you all of the information you will need clearly and concisely, in English.

You can Brexit-proof your plans and get connected with our visa specialist by completing our short form.

Speak to a VISA specialist

  • We handle your data with care and only ever as outlined in our Privacy Policy.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This