Written by Erin Harding,
Last Modified: 17th December 2021

There has been a lot of speculation over whether Brits will be able to access French healthcare after Brexit. Thankfully, we have some reassuring news! The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is being replaced with a Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). This means that Brits travelling to France, and indeed all EU countries, will still be able to receive free, or cheaper, state-provided medical care.

Don’t worry though, your EHIC will remain valid until it expires. Then, you can apply for the new free GHIC.

What does the GHIC cover?

The GHIC will entitle you to basic state healthcare. It will cover things like emergency treatment and A&E trips, treatment for chronic or pre-existing medical conditions, routine medical or maternity care, and oxygen and kidney dialysis.


If you are ready to buy in France as soon as travel restarts, call our friendly France Resource Team on 020 7898 0549 or email [email protected]


Nevertheless, it is important to be aware that you may still have to pay for things in the EU that you would usually get for free in the UK. In France, state healthcare in France is not completely free and healthcare costs are covered by both the state and through patient contributions. It’s wise to ensure that you’re clued up about how much you’ll have to pay and how much should be reimbursed.

The British government still advises Brits to take out travel insurance that includes healthcare. The GHIC will not cover you for private medical healthcare or other costs, such as mountain rescue or repatriation.


The British Government still advises Brits to take out travel insurance that includes healthcare.

Healthcare for permanent residents

These cards are handy for those who are going to visit their holiday home or going to France for a holiday. However, if you are moving there permanently, you should register with the French healthcare system.

You must have health insurance cover to live in France permanently. You can apply to be covered by the French healthcare system (‘PUMa’) if you have been a resident in France for at least 3 months. If you’re employed in France, you can apply as soon as you start work.

Once registered, you’ll get a social security card, called a ‘Carte Vitale’, which you should take with you whenever you visit a doctor, pharmacy or specialist provider.

If you are a retiree – with French residency – who receives a UK State pension, then you can access UK-funded healthcare using an S1 form.


Why not spread the cost of buying a home in France and buy with friends or family? Read our guide, Buying with Family.

About The Author

Erin Harding

Erin is the Content Writer and Assistant Editor for Property Guides, producing regular content such as news, articles and guides. She delights in harking back to her time spent in Australia, New Zealand and Europe when writing articles for those wishing to buy property overseas.

Buying a House in France Guide.

Buying a property in France is extremely exciting, but it can be nerve-wracking: in what ways is the process different to the UK, how do you cope with the language difference, what fees should you expect and just who is the notaire? That’s why we’ve put together our France Buying Guide, to help you through the process, step by step.

Written by experts, it covers every stage of buying, from viewing to contracts and fees. Get your copy of the French Property Guide by simply filling in the form below.

  Impact of Brexit
  Find your property
  Ask the right questions
  Avoid losing money
  Avoid the legal pitfalls
  Move in successfully

Download your free guide to buying in France

  • We handle your data with care and only ever as outlined in our Privacy Policy.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Share This