The Prime Minister Theresa May has refused to allow the transition period to include the right to free movement of EU citizens to the UK. If reciprocated, it means that you have until 29th March 2019 to move to France.

Many people thinking of moving to France will be worried that they will face restrictions after Britain leaves the EU. In our most recent survey four out of every ten of our readers were worried by Brexit.

The news in December 2017 that an initial agreement had been reached not only sent the pound shooting up in value, but was a very welcome Christmas present to the British people hoping for a long, affordable and relaxed life in France. It spelled out the rights of people moving to France until March 2019: “There will be no change to the rights and status of UK nationals living in the EU while the UK remains in the EU.”


Theresa May made the comments while in China


It was also assumed that this would be extended until December 2020 as part of the “status quo” transition period. However this week Theresa May said, “I’m clear there is a difference between those who came prior to us leaving and those who will come when they know the UK is leaving.”

This has caused immediate outrage. Guy Verhofstadt, the European parliament’s Brexit coordinator, said: “Citizens’ rights during the transition is not negotiable. We will not accept that there are two sets of rights for EU citizens. For the transition to work, it must mean a continuation of the existing freedom with no exceptions.”

However, for British people wanting to move to France, the message is clear that only by living in France before 29th March 2019, when the UK leaves the European Union, will your right to live in France be guaranteed.

The agreement in December essentially says the following:

• UK nationals who are lawfully residing in France by 29th March 2019, will be able to continue to reside in France.
• That includes children born or adopted outside France after the 29th March 2019.
• Close family members (spouses, civil partners and unmarried partners, dependent children and grandchildren and dependent parents and grandparents) will be able to join you in France after exit under these rules, so long as the relationship existed on 29 March 2019 and continues to exist when they join you in France.
• You and your family members can leave France for up to five years without losing your right to return.
• You and your family will continue to have the same access as you currently do to healthcare, pensions and other benefits.


Let Smart take the risk out of your currency transfers

Whether you are buying a property abroad, making regular payments or sending money back to the UK, you will want to protect the value of your currency transfers from fluctuating exchange rates. That’s where Smart Currency Exchange can help. We minimise the risk associated with transferring money overseas by providing expert guidance every step of the way.

  Safe and secure transactions
  Dedicated Personal Trader
  Authorised by the FCA

Protect your currency costs

Although this seems straightforward, the key phrase is “lawfully residing”. What do you need to do to be lawfully residing?

We spoke to Fabienne Atkin, Associate Solicitor with Heslop & Platt: “the notion of ‘lawful residence’ will still have to be defined or refined further down the line so I would tread with caution. However, according to rules laid out by the European Union, from a fiscal point of view, you are automatically considered French tax resident if your main home is in France. You would also be considered resident if you spend 183 days in France in any calendar year, or if your principal occupation is in France, or if France is the country of your most substantial assets.”

The December agreement also laid out general agreements on the procedures for proving residency for those living in France before March 2019: “EU27 Member States may require UK nationals and their family members covered by the agreement to apply to obtain a status conferring the right of residence and/or obtain a residency document. Administrative procedures for applications for status will be transparent, smooth and streamlined. Where an application is required to obtain status, UK nationals will have at least two years to submit their applications. Residence documents will be issued free of charge or for a charge not exceeding that imposed on nationals for the issuing of similar documents. Further information on these administrative procedures will be provided when available.”

Fabienne therefore concludes: “It seems to me that if you have already settled in France before March 2019, British citizens should indeed retain their rights but France may still require them to apply for a special status (in which case the procedure should be streamlined).”

So while at present UK nationals do not have to register in France, while non-EU citizens do, it would be sensible to obtain a residence permit, carte de sejour, not least because it then gives you access to many state services. You apply at your local préfecture de police or through your local town hall office (mairie).

The required documents include your passport, birth certificate, proof of residence and proof of income. Employees could provide a certificate of employment and latest payment slips, while the self-employed people must provide proof too. Retired and unemployed people prove that they have enough money to live in France. To prove you won’t be a burden on the French health services, retired people can provide an S1 certificate from the NHS, working people and the self-employed will need to be paying into French social security, and if you’re not working but not retired either you will need to show that you have medical insurance.

The process should not take more than a few weeks.

Family purchase could open the door

The right to bring family to France is extended to dependent children and grandchildren of the legal resident. This opens up another angle for British people who wish to retain their EU rights but are not in a position to move to France yet.

Although only one person needs to become legally resident in France for the whole family to benefit, the cost of buying the home can be spread among many. Read our brand new guide, Buying Abroad with Family to see how to organise the legal and financial aspects.

Already convinced? If you’re ready to buy a home in France, Property Guides will be at Your Overseas Home, where those serious about buying can get answers to detailed questions from trusted lawyers, agents and currency providers. Click here to apply for FREE tickets to shows throughout 2018.

If you cannot buy before March 2019

For those who cannot establish legal residency in France before Britain leaves the EU, whether that includes the transition period or not, the “worst case scenario” remains as outlined in our guide “How to Live in France After Brexit”. Very roughly, these are rules that apply to Americans. Australians etc. It seems highly likely that a bespoke visa system would apply to the British who are, after all, just 20 miles away and arrive in France by the millions every year, but if not these are the rules that could apply:

• Non-EU passport holders can stay in France for up to 90 days without getting a visa. This can be spread over as many visits as you like, allowing for at least 12 weeks in the country spread throughout the year.
• The “long stay visitor visa” allows you to stay for up to 12 months, without the need to obtain a residence permit. You must prove that you have enough money or income to support yourself without working.
• There is no restriction on you buying a home in France and there are no limits on where.
• Non EU buyers are generally able to get the same deal on mortgages as EU citizens.
• If you wish to rent out your home you will need local authority permission and you will have to declare any rental income in France.
• There are many types of work visa, including the passeport-talent or the European Blue Card.
• You can request French citizenship after five years of living in France and if you can pass a French language test. Students can apply after two years.
• Retired people could also go for the carte de séjour retraité option but this requires you to prove you will be getting a retirement income while also maintaining your normal (habitual) residence outside France.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This