The SEF recently announced that in 2022, 1,281 golden visas, also known as Residence Permits for Investment (ARI), were issued in Portugal.
The goal of the Golden Visa is to attract foreign buyers and raise investment in the Portuguese property market.
The investment raised through Golden Visas in 2022 was €654.2m which reflects a 41.9% increase on 2021 investments.
The most popular months for golden visas granted was June and December, in which 155 and 151 applicants were granted a visa.
For expert tips on moving to Portugal, read our free online guide
The benefits of the Golden Visa in Portugal
– You can become a Portuguese citizen within five to six years
– Portugal Golden Visa program gives you visa-free access to other Schengen countries
– It provides a range of investment options for you to obtain a residence permit
– Portugal is rich in culture, quality of life and has a wonderful climate
– You only have to be in Portugal for seven days annually to keep your permit
– Access to Portuguese healthcare and education
– Low cost of living
Minimum investment to qualify
To be eligible for a Golden Visa in Portugal, you must meet minimum investment criteria. You must make one of the following investments…
– Purchase a property worth at least €500,000. If the property is in a low-density area, the investment amount drops to €400,000.
– If you invest in property in a Portuguese urban regeneration area, the investment amount is €350,000. If it’s in a low-density area, the investment amount is €280,000. Please note, the project must qualify for investment under the Portugeuse Immigration and Borders Service (SEF).
– Invest a minimum of €350,000 into a qualifying investment fund.
– Make a capital transfer of at least €1,000,000 in a Portuguese bank account
– Create at least 10 jobs for Portugeuse nationals.
For information on all investment options in order to qualify, please visit schengenvisainfo.com
Find homes in Portugal via our property portal.
Step-by-step application guide
1. Visit Portugal and decide on your investment
2. Set up a Portuguese bank account and tax number
3.Complete your investment or property purchase
4. Apply for the Portugal Golden Visa
5. Receive your residence permit
6. In 5 years’ time, you can apply for Portuguese citizenship/permanent residence
The main applicant of the Golden Visa has the option to extend it to include family members. You will then be able to unify the application process.
But who is eligible to apply with your application?
– A spouse
– Children under 18 years old
– Dependent children under 26 years old (they must be full-time students and unmarried)
– Parents of the main applicant, if over 65 years old
After five years of your approved Golden Visa application, you can apply for permanent citizenship in Portugal. To qualify, you must have…
– A clean criminal record in Portugal and your home country
– Passed a basic language test in Portuguese
– No outstanding tax payments in Portugal